Monday, March 10, 2008

A Writing Career: Where to Begin?

I've always been a backwards writer. No matter how hard I try to come up with that first paragraph, I end up thinking of the last line first. I'm not talking about knowing the general gist of how I'll wrap things up; I mean that the last sentence, word-for-word, comes to me. Before I even know the specifics of what's going to happen, that last line gets written. What I hadn't realized until now, is that more than my writing is backwards.

Take my writing goal, for example: to have a full-time writing career by next January. Okay, so my end is written. Now I just need to work out the details and actually get there; and I feel pretty much like I do when I'm trying to write that first paragraph of a story. Excited. Overwhelmed. Unsure where I want to start. I have all of these ideas competing with each other for attention. Online marketing, print submissions, blog & website reading, article writing, freelance gigs, writing volunteer work. And that's not even taking into account the writing group and marketing classes I want to take. All are important and all need to be included. The question is, what's the most best and most logical way to go about pursuing them?

Today I'll figure that out. I plan to write out a career plan on paper, so that I can prioritize a few things and stay on track. Hopefully that'll help me avoid getting sucked into the internet warp and other time-eating activities. By the end of the month, I'd like to have my 'intro paragraph' written.

No comments: