Thursday, October 23, 2008

National Novel Writing Month

Sometimes I can't help but think I'm the only one agonizing over a sentence, worrying over desert vs dessert, living the better part of the day in my mind.

The first time I lived with other writers - for a week during grad school - it was the strangest thing. I'd look up from my computer and see half a dozen other people typing away.

There were others out there! I wasn't alone! I felt guilty watching them - like I was intruding on something private - but I still watched, out of the corners of my eyes so they wouldn't think I was some crazy writer stalker chic.

Words appeared on one person's screen, and another person keep pulling her earlobe, thinking. After that week, I attacked my own writing with new energy.

I think this is what a program like nanowrimo offers - a reminder that we're not alone. Camaraderie. Renewed energy and motivation. That's one tall order to fill, but hey -

50,000 words IS one helluva payment.

No comments: