Thursday, April 9, 2009

If You're Not Confident, Fake It

There's something comforting about sending out a whole manuscript. Sure, if they don't want it, it means complete and total rejection of your topic, and maybe even your writing. But if they DO want it - well. That's it, complete elation, end of story.

This month I'm working on a different type of story that not only involves cold calling potential sources (gulp), but also requires that I send out a query before the story's completed. That means:
1. They could want my story!...until they see it
2. I could estimate 550 words and end up needing 950. Or vice versa.
3. They may want additional information, which I can't obtain.

All of this is assuming, of course, that they even want the story. Funny how the scary thoughts have taken over right when I'm about to send the dang query in. Some might call it fear of success, but I think it's more a fear of dissappointing the editors. Whatever it is, it's NOT confident. So I've decided to pretend I am and email it anyways.

The worst they can say is yes.

2 comments:

ACW said...

Good for you! You got to tell yourself whatever happens, it will all work out. You've got great instincts and are a fantastic writer - and you'll edit or add or whatever you need to do once that story is accepted!
Anne

Colleen said...

Thanks for the encouragement Anne, I had my writing mentor edit the query, and am emailing it today. Yikes